Training in IBS

“If God spare my life, ere many years I will cause a boy who drives the plough to know more of the scriptures than you do.” - William Tyndale

Pastoring the fellowship of Malisheve and Teaching Inductive Bible Study seminars in Kosovo and Eastern Europe.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Confession and An Answer (by Rachael)


First, maybe it would be right to start with a confession.  I hope that from this confession you will understand that being called to live out of your comfort zone, away from your family and in another culture --in order to minister (sometimes known as “the mission field” or “a missionary”) makes one no different from another except for the physical place they call “home.”

For weeks (months even) I have been struggling with these feelings of not wanting to be “bothered” by certain people.  To be more specific, these are the people that Jesus speaks of as: “the least of these.”  Yes, yes, I knew what the verse says: “…inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” (Matthew 25:40)  And I would remind myself of this verse and others.  But still I have been lacking the love and heart of Jesus. (Big surprise, right?)  I mean, after all, it was just so inconvenient. 

If my flesh had a voice….well, maybe it would be better discernment NOT to write the voice of my dreadful flesh.  I’m sure you can imagine it because I know your flesh also has a voice…

The voice of my spirit, thank God, is louder:  Oh, my heart breaks for this poor woman…  Oh their suffering is so great, can I just dump my bank account into their hands and fix all problems? … I want to just pray for her constantly until she is healed of her ailments and physical burdens. … I’m so glad my husband is here to minister to this boy, because who else would? … I know there is so much more to this family’s situation than I understand.  …How precious is this person’s child-like faith.

Still, nonetheless, the voice of my flesh and my spirit had very frequent arguments.  I have been praying for a long time for the Lord to silence my judgemental and prideful heart and cleanse me of all thoughts evil and not of Him. Please, Lord, win this battle over my flesh!  For if it is lost, then why am I here? 

During the worship time in last week’s service, the Lord so graciously gave me a vision of two of the most “least of these” that we know here.  They were standing there during worship --neither one of them acceptable or beloved in the world’s eyes.  Both total downcasts of their society.  No great hope or great future for either.  Mainly suffering and scorning was what they could expect, with maybe a little bit of social help from the government, a few extra euros from the church, and open doors and warm greetings from the fellowship.  You can’t help but wonder why they even make the effort to come.  

And that’s when I saw them with spiritual eyes open.  First the woman, shining in all her God-given glory, radiating eminent beauty.  It was as if she was already “there” in Glory (heaven) waiting for the rest of us to join her.  I watched as she greeted those who came.  She had a smile and embrace completely full of joy --the kind of joy that shouts strength.  Her body was whole, her suffering was no more, her tears were dry, her hope was satisfied and her heart was unbroken and filled with Her Savior’s love. For her Savior stood lovingly behind her, with a smile in His eye that seemed to say, “Behold! This is my beloved daughter, and didn’t you know, I had a plan for her this whole time.  Come join us.”

And then walked up the man.  Tall and strong.  Confident, and with no more limp!  He had full coherency and a strong firm handshake with a hand that was not withered.  His smile as he greeted each one was again proclaiming the joy and strength of His Lord. Handsome as ever, he was poised as a brave and sure leader, eager and responsible to lead the rest into mighty worship.    

I was so taken aback by this incredible and beautiful “sight” from the Lord.  What a tearful and worshipful response that was evoked within my soul.  With my physical eyes I was seeing something completely different.  But, for just a moment, it was as if the Lord opened my spiritual eyes to see what He really sees.  For He sees us now as we will be in Glory, because He is outside of time and He sees the end from the beginning.  And this is how He sees “them” now.   

As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.  (Psalm 17:15)
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. (1 Cor 13:12)

And I realized that this is how the Lord sees all of us.  

So this is how we must view each other.  

What a conviction it gives to the prideful heart, to see the Highest Almighty One give great honor to someone it thinks of as “least of these.”

And what a joy and excited expectation it brings to the heart that is spiritually minded and eternally focused.

1 comment: